Home | For Surrogates | Surrogate Inquiry | Contact

Cindy's Story

Birth Story...

It's amazing how a journey that started less than a year prior can now be coming to an end. But all things must eventually come to a conclusion. To say that the intended parents were nervous would be an understatement. This is what they have been waiting for, for a long time. I was not as nervous as they were, as I had been through this before. I knew what to expect, and was slightly relieved to be getting some rest soon. Not having to wake up in the middle of the night for feedings and diaper changes or bathroom visits would be a nice change for me.

The pregnancy up to this point had been very smooth sailing. There were no complications at any point during the pregnancy. We found out that it was a boy at the 20 week ultrasound. The intended parents were extremely excited. They had wanted a boy first, they really wanted twins, but were grateful for some unanswered wishes. The intended parents have said that if he had been a girl, they would have been just as excited.

We had scheduled the birth for the 18 th of January. We were to meet at the hospital at 5:30 am. I am not sure why the hospital wants us there that early, but they did, so we were. My husband and I were finishing up the paperwork when the nervous parents-to-be arrived. The nurse checked us in and took all of us to the maternity ward of the hospital. Everyone had to wait outside while the nurses got me changed into the lovely hospital gown. Once I was all situated on the bed, everyone came in to stare at me until the big moment. We all sat around and watched some television while we waited for the pitocin to kick in. This didn't take long, as the contractions started almost immediately. We started having some heavy contractions around 8:00 am. My doctor was there, my husband was there, and the intended parents were there, all that was needed was the guest of honor. Good thing he didn't make us wait long, I don't know if the intended parents could have handled the suspense much longer. But he made his arrival just like other babies do, screaming and kicking. The nurses quickly covered him up and started taking care of him, while my husband and doctor took care of me. The intended parents were a little bit emotional and didn't know exactly what to do. They quickly made it over to the area where their new bundle of joy was being tended to. Of course, the camera was clicking away like mad. They didn't want to miss a single moment of this event.

After a few minutes of recovery time for both me and the baby, we were taken to our respective rooms. It was lunch time for me, so of course, I wanted to eat. My husband quickly took down the food request and left me to some peace and quite for a few minutes. I stayed in the hospital overnight, and went home mid day the next day. Since there were no complications with the baby, he got to go home also. The new family was staying in town for a week to get accustom to taking care of a new born. The first couple of nights were rather sleepless for them, but they got the hang of it. I went to visit them a few days later and was impressed with how well they adapted to changing diapers (neither had done one before) and feeding. It's amazing how it clicks in when you are faced with it and have no other option but to figure it out. 

It was a sad day for me when the new family finally left for home. Since they live on the other side of the country, I knew that I would not get to see them very often. However, there was always email and pictures. I was finally able to visit them in South Carolina after a couple of months. They were old pros at parenting by then, and had decided that they wanted to try for a little sister soon. We discussed the possibility of when we could start the process and decided to wait until the baby was 6 months old. We are currently pregnant with a little sister, and she is due in late June. I fully expect this birth to be as uneventful as the first, at least on my end. I don't know how they are going to handle two babies under the age two, but I am sure they will do a fine job. Come join our sisterhood of surrogate mothers... Cindy